What a wee little part of a person’s life are his acts and his words! His real life is led in his head and is known to none but himself. All day long, the mill of his brain is grinding his thoughts…
We hosted a prayer tent a couple of years ago at a local college campus. One particular day, I decided to post this scripture on the sign in front of the tent; 1 Peter 5:7 (AMP) – Casting all your cares [all your anxieties, all your worries, and all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares about you [with deepest affection, and watches over you very carefully]. I was surprised at the number of students who stopped in for prayer because they were suffering from the weight of anxiety.
The word anxious in the Greek 3309 merimnáō means properly, drawn in opposite directions; “divided into parts” (A. T. Robertson); (figuratively) “to go to pieces” because pulled apart (in different directions), like the force exerted by sinful anxiety (worry). As worry and doubt creep into the mind, deception begins to work overtime dividing the truth until it becomes non-existent. Then your perspective on life and your circumstances become completely fear-based because doubt and worry have stripped you of God’s truth; allowing anxiety to tear you apart. Now your problem appears to be bigger than God. But that’s a lie. Nothing is impossible for God.
Too often, we look to the world for remedies that are only temporary solutions that mask the pain and numb us for a moment in time. Medicate your mind with the gospel of Jesus Christ, fight the devil with the Word of God, and cast your cares upon God. Be persistent, learn how to correct a negative mindset, don’t yield to it, learn how to effectively battle anxiety and worry while walking hand in hand with Jesus. We can allow our thoughts to control us or we can learn how to control them by the power of the Holy Spirit and God’s powerful word.
The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of true faith is the end of anxiety.
~ George Mueller
Here are a few tips that can help you when you are anxious, worried, or burdened.
- Read a scripture out loud or sing along with a worship song. I have literally rebuked myself in the past for the negative things that were spiraling out of control in my head and I used the technique of confessing out loud God’s promises/scriptures, or I’d sing along with a worship song, or I’d pray out loud. Your mind cannot stay in a spiral when you are speaking out loud. Try it – it can change the course of those negative thoughts.
- Find scriptures that speak to your situation and read them throughout the day when you feel overwhelmed. Remember God is bigger than your problems. I listed a few scriptures below for you to reflect upon.
- Pray. Ask God for help. Praying is such an important tool we have as Christians. It’s our way of communicating with God. Often, He is just waiting for an invitation from you to help.
- Find a Christian Community (campus ministry or church ) on or close to campus and get involved. This is a great place to ask for prayer, plus find support and encouragement. If you need help finding a campus ministry or church close to your campus, try searching on the Every Student Sent website, www.everystudentsent.org. Let us know how we can help you.
- Matthew 11:28-30 (NLV) – “Come to Me, all of you who work and have heavy loads. I will give you rest. Follow My teachings and learn from Me. I am gentle and do not have pride. You will have rest for your souls. For My way of carrying a load is easy and My load is not heavy.”
- 2 Timothy 1:7 (AMP) – “For God did not give us a spirit of timidity or cowardice or fear, but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of sound judgment and personal discipline [abilities that result in a calm, well-balanced mind and self-control].”
- Jeremiah 33:3 (AMP) – “Call to Me and I will answer you, and tell you [and even show you] great and mighty things, [things which have been confined and hidden], which you do not know and understand and cannot distinguish.”
- Psalm 139:17-18 (AMP) – “How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I could count them, they would outnumber the sand. When I awake, I am still with You.”
- Philippians 4:6 (AMP) – “Do not be anxious or worried about anything, but in everything [every circumstance and situation] by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, continue to make your [specific] requests known to God.”
- 1 Peter 5:6-8 (AMP) – “Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God [set aside self-righteous pride], so that He may exalt you [to a place of honor in His service] at the appropriate time, casting all your cares [all your anxieties, all your worries, and all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares about you [with deepest affection, and watches over you very carefully]. Be sober [well balanced and self-disciplined], be alert and cautious at all times. That enemy of yours, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion [fiercely hungry], seeking someone to devour.”
- Psalm 107:28-31 (AMP) – “Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble, and He brought them out of their distresses. He hushed the storm to a gentle whisper, so that the waves of the sea were still. Then they were glad because of the calm, and He guided them to their desired haven (harbor). Let them give thanks to the Lord for His lovingkindness, and for His wonderful acts to the children of men!”
- 2 Corinthians 10:4-6 (NIV) – “The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. And we will be ready to punish every act of disobedience, once your obedience is complete.
- Psalm 94:19 (AMP) – “When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, your comforts delight me.”
- Psalm 55:22 (AMP) – “Cast your burden on the Lord [release it] and He will sustain and uphold you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken (slip, fall, fail).”
- Psalm 84:11 (AMP) – “For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows grace and favor and honor; no good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly.”
- Luke 1:37 (AMP) – “For with God nothing [is or ever] shall be impossible.”
- Isaiah 26:3 (AM) – “You will keep in perfect and constant peace the one whose mind is steadfast [that is, committed and focused on You—in both inclination and character],
Because he trusts and takes refuge in You [with hope and confident expectation].”
If you need prayer, please send us your request. Our team meets weekly and our parents in prayer meet twice monthly to pray over students and campuses. Send us your prayer request email@example.com